If you are experiencing issues with a black, blank, or frozen screen when using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), it may be due to an issue with the video capture device. This guide will walk you through the steps to resolve this issue:
Step 1: Launch OBS
Ensure that OBS is open on your computer. This is necessary to access the settings and configurations.
Step 2: Highlight Video Capture Device in the Sources Section
- Within the main OBS interface, locate the ‘Sources’ section, usually found at the bottom of the screen.
- Find the ‘Video Capture Device’ in the list of sources. This is the device that is capturing video, such as a webcam or capture card.
- Click on ‘Video Capture Device’ to highlight it.
Step 3: Access Properties
- With the Video Capture Device highlighted, find the properties wheel icon. This is usually located to the right of the 'Sources' section.
- Click on the properties wheel icon. This will open the Properties screen for the Video Capture Device.
Step 4: Re-Initialize the Video Capture Device
- In the Properties screen, locate the dropdown menu that lists the capture devices.
- Click on the dropdown menu to expand it.
- Select your camera from the list.
- After selecting the camera, click on the dropdown menu again and re-select the original capture device.
- This process forces the operating system to re-initialize the capture device, potentially resolving the black or frozen screen issue.
- Also make sure the field below the dropdown menu make sure it say "Deactivate." If it says "Activate", click on the button.
Step 5: Testing
- Close the Properties window.
- Check the main screen of OBS to see if the issue is resolved. You should now see a live video feed if the steps above were successful.
Additional Troubleshooting: Reconnecting the Capture Device
If the above steps do not resolve the issue:
- Disconnect the video capture device from your computer.
- Wait for about 10 seconds.
- Reconnect the video capture device to the computer to the same or different usb port.
- OBS should automatically detect the capture device.
- Check the main screen in OBS to see if the issue is resolved.
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the black or frozen screen issue in OBS. If the problem persists, consider checking for driver updates for your capture device.